Gaming Influence: Thoughts - The Super Mario Bros. Movie Direct

Hello everyone, 

Welcome to Gaming Influence which is a reboot of the same name that I created back in WrestleCorp. However, not only will I be giving my thoughts on certain video games and video game series, but also video game movies, video game anime, video game digital presentations, etc.

For this edition of Gaming Influence, I'll be giving my thoughts on the Super Mario Bros. Movie Direct on October 6, 2022.

Anyway, let's get started!



For this Nintendo Direct, it will mainly focus on the Super Mario Bros. Movie so let me give my thoughts on the trailer overall.


First of all, I thought the trailer overall was pretty good. The visuals and art style of this movie looks beautiful as Illumination definitely up the budget on this compared to their other movies like Despicable Me series for example, which is very surprising, but I was down for it for sure. The animation was impressive as it's also something else that I was very surprised with especially with the beginning scene with Bowser's Airship flying with the spike anchors falling down from the ship to the ground and Bowser breathing fire to the Ice Kingdom which is very cool. Really love the animation here which is something I didn't expect and that was awesome. I love the fact that the movies will have the penguins from Super Mario 64 which is a nice callback which I like. Finally, the voice acting for the characters for the most part is pretty good. Kevin Michael Richardson playing as Kamek was well done. Keegan-Michael Key playing as Toad was done great as he did great by sounding like Toad, but with a little lower tone voice which still delivers and feels like Toad which I appreciate. Jack Black playing as Bowser was done excellently as I felt that Jack Black nailed Bowser perfectly in terms of his voice, mannerisms, and tone which is awesome. I can't wait to hear what Bowser sing because since Jack Black is voicing him, it's going to happen, make it happen Nintendo and Illumination!

In terms of the downside of the movie for me, it's not really much of a downside as it's something that I need to hear more of and that is Chris Pratt playing as Mario. Granted, Chris Pratt is a talented actor in my opinion as I think he does well as Starlord in Guardians of the Galaxy. However, him voicing Mario is definitely off that's for sure as we're so used to hearing Mario with an Italian accent in the games so hearing him with a non-Italian accent is quite strange. Granted, I feel like the Super Mario Bros. Movie is an origin story of Mario as he does originate from Brooklyn, New York, USA, as a plumber, so they're probably going that route and direction for Mario in this movie which is fine. Though, I still can't get over the voice of Mario at this time, but hopefully, we'll get to hear more of him soon so we can get used to it as I think it'll be fine over time. 

Until then, the movie looks great and hope to see with the next trailer, more of Luigi as we got a glimpse of it at the end of the trailer, Peach, Donkey Kong, and what the story is about in this movie. Either way, this seems to be hopeful and really hope that it delivers so Nintendo can make other movies with their IPs down the line.


Overall, this was a good presentation from Nintendo. Obviously, the biggest highlight here was the trailer as I mentioned before, it looks great, and it has the potential to be good depending on the direction they're going in. As of now, I'm digging the visuals, animation, and most of the voice acting at this time so the only thing that needs to deliver now with this movie is the story and we'll see how that turns out down the line. Also, it was nice to see Shigeru Miyamoto and Chris Meledandri talk about how hard they've been working on the movie, and it looks like it's definitely paying off which is great to see. Seeing Chris Pratt and Jack Black talking about their roles in the movies as well as their history with Super Mario Bros. is nice as well. Granted, I feel like Chris Pratt isn't really a Mario fan the way he talked about it in his segment, but that could be just me. Other than that, this movie trailer gives me hope and we'll see how it turns out as it'll be released in theatres on April 7, 2023.

You can watch the full Super Mario Bros. Movie Direct yourself with the link below:

Comments

Popular Posts