Anime Influence: Rankings - Favorite Anime in 2023

Hello everyone, 

Welcome to Anime Influence, similar to Gaming Influence, but mainly giving my thoughts on certain anime and anime series with some fun mix of anime-related content on here as well. 

For this edition of Anime Influence, I'll be ranking my favorite anime in 2023.

Before I start, I will only be ranking anime that was released in 2023 which includes the beginning of the year to the end of the year as well as anime that have episodes in 2023. That means if the anime started before 2023, but has episodes in 2023 that are still ongoing, that will qualify. In addition, if the anime started in 2023, but it's still ongoing, that will also qualify. Also, these rankings will not include movies, OVAs, or specials as I considered them separate. Finally, if your favorite anime of 2023 didn't make it on my rankings, that doesn't mean I hate that anime, it just means I haven't watched it or have no interest in it so keep that in mind.

Anyway, let's get started!



Before I start my actual rankings if you want to see my favorite video games of last year, check out the link here: Anime Influence: Rankings - Favorite Anime in 2022

Here are some honorable mentions that I enjoyed, but didn't make it on the list:

Honorable Mentions: Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story Season 2, Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan, Golden Kamuy Season 4, Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead, Ranking of Kings: The Treasure Chest of Courage, Mashle: Magic and Muscles, Buddy Daddies, My Love Story with Yamada-kun at Lv999, Tomo-chan Is A Girl!, Baki Hanma 2nd Season, The Eminence in Shadow Season 2, Bungo Stray Dogs Season 4, Classroom of the Elite III, Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation Season 2, Dr. Stone: New World

Starting off with my favorite anime in 2023 with #20:



Trigun Stampede is an anime based off of the Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Yasuhiro Nightow. It was created by Orange and it aired from January 7, 2023, to March 25, 2023.

Trigun Stampede is pretty an alternative version and reimagining of the anime, Trigun, that was released in 1998. Even though I do prefer the original Trigun over this anime, Trigun Stampede definitely has some pretty cool animations and follows the manga quite well too with its story and characters. Despite it not being my favorite anime of this year, it's quite enjoyable which is why it landed on my #20 spot on this list.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #19:



Kidou Senshi Gundam: Suisei no Majo or Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury is an anime based on the Japanese light novel series written by Yuuya Takashima and illustrated by Shuuei Takagi. It was created by Sotsu, Mainichi Broadcasting System, and Bandai Namco Filmworks, and the first season aired from October 2, 2022, to January 8, 2023, as well as the second season aired from April 9, 2023, to July 2, 2023.

The Gundam anime series is a hit-and-miss to me at times, but at least with this one, it's quite enjoyable. The first season was mainly released in late 2022 with the remaining last episodes airing in early 2023 while the full second season of the anime was released this year. I pretty much enjoyed the second season more than the first season and this Gundam series did well in terms of its art style and animation. Despite not being the best Gundam anime series out there, personally, Gundam Wing is my #1 favorite, this series is quite enjoyable to watch and if you like Gundam, you'll probably enjoy Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury series.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #18:



NieR Automata Ver.1.1a is an anime based off of the action role-playing video game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Square Enix. It was created by A1-Pictures and it aired from January 8, 2023, to July 23, 2023.

I love NieR Automata as it's one of my favorite games of that year when it was released and when it was announced that there would be an anime of this, I was super pumped. Even though it wasn't bad, it definitely felt like it could've been a lot better as the art style and animation didn't come across the same as the game and I didn't expect it to be the same, but was expecting more where I was disappointed by it. If you aren't able to play NieR Automata for any reason, you can watch the anime to get the experience of what the game is about but definitely would recommend playing the anime instead of watching the anime. However, that's just my opinion.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #17:



Skip to Loafer or Skip and Loafer in the West is an anime based off of the Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Misaki Takamatsu. It was created by P.A. Works and it aired from April 4, 2023, to June 20, 2023.

This is such a fun slice-of-life anime with very enjoyable characters and some pretty good comedy to add as well. I really like the dynamic with all of the characters in this anime as the art style for this anime has been well done too. If you're into slice-of-life with some comedy, would recommend giving Skip and Loafer a try, it might be worth your time to give it a watch.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #16:



Tengoku Daimakyou or Heavenly Delusion is an anime based off of the Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Masakazu Ishiguro. It was created by the Mainichi Broadcasting System, Kodansha, NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan, Avex Pictures, and NetEase as it aired from April 1, 2023, to June 24, 2023. 

I'm a fan of mysteries and psychological thrillers and this anime pretty much gives me just that. This anime really excels when it comes to animation, storytelling, world-building, voice acting, and writing as it really makes you feel like you're in the anime itself which I like a lot. If you're into mysteries and psychological thrillers like I do, I would recommend checking out Heavenly Delusion. Just make sure you don't get freaked out by it.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #15:



Tokyo Revengers: Seiya Kessen-hen or Tokyo Revengers: Christmas Showdown in the West is an anime based off of the Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Ken Wakui. It was created by LIDENFILMS and it aired from January 8, 2023, to April 2, 2023. 

Even though the Christmas Showdown arc wasn't the best in the manga, in the anime, it did quite well as it expanded upon what the manga didn't which I appreciate. Sure, this season of the anime was more action-focused than its storytelling per se, but it's still an enjoyable season to watch as it builds up to the next season of the anime. Looking forward to the next season of Tokyo Revengers when it's been animated.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #14:



Jigokuraku or Hell's Paradise is an anime based off of the Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Yuji Kaku. It was created by MAPPA and it aired from April 1, 2023, to July 1, 2023.

If you want a good mixture of Jujustu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man into one, to me, this is the anime for you as it's pretty much a combination of those two combined. Even though I prefer Jujustu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man over Hell's Paradise, it's still an enjoyable show with a great art style and character designs which I think people watching it will enjoy. If you want to watch an anime that has a mix of Jujustu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man, would recommend giving Hell's Paradise a shot.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #13:



Boku no Hero Academia 6th Season or My Hero Academia Season 6 in the West is an anime based on the Japanese superhero manga series written and illustrated by Kōhei Horikoshi. It was created by Bones as it aired from October 1, 2022, to March 25, 2023.

This is pretty much a continuation of the Paranormal Liberation Arc and it delivered on that front. After the fifth season being filler, the sixth season pretty much made up the previous season as the quality and action of this series in anime form continue to deliver and are entertaining to watch. Looking forward to the seventh season of this anime when it happens. Just don't make it filler please, thank you.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #12:



Spy x Family Season 2 is an anime based on the Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Tatsuya Endo. It was created by Wit Studios and CloverWorks and it aired from October 7, 2023, to December 23, 2023.

The first season of Spy x Family was my #1 favorite anime of 2022 and with the second season, it was good. I really enjoyed it for what it is as it continues to expand the relationship between Loid, Yor, and Anya which I really like. Sure, it may not be well balanced in terms of having other genres compared to the first season, but it's still enjoyable and fun to watch so if you like Spy x Family, you'll enjoy the second season of the anime.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #11:



Kusuriya no Hitorigoto or The Apothecary Diaries in the West is an anime based on the Japanese manga series written by Natsu Hyūga and illustrated by Touko Shino. It was created by OLM and TOHO animation STUDIO as it aired on October 22, 2023, and it's still ongoing.

As I mentioned in my favorite manga of 2023, the manga is pretty good and the anime pretty much adapted the manga quite well as it's incredible to see. To me, this was my most genuine surprise when it comes to anime this year as it has great character development and the art style is beautiful to look at as well just like with the manga. Would definitely recommend people giving this series a go for those who are curious.

Now, we're in the top ten. Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #10: 




Kimetsu no Yaiba: Katanakaji no Sato-hen or Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Swordsmith Village Arc in the West is an anime based on the Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Koyoharu Gotouge as it was created by ufotable and it aired from April 9, 2023, to June 18, 2023.

Despite what people say about Demon Slayer, I still enjoy the series for what it is, and with the Swordsmith Village Arc, it was great. The animation continues to be the best part of this anime and the character development has been well done too especially with Tanjiro as he continues to grow as a character in the anime. The only weak point for me in this season was its plot and its pacing. Other than that, if you love Demon Slayer, you'll enjoy the Swordsmith Village Arc of the anime.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #9:



One Piece is an anime based on the Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Eiichiro Oda as it was created by Toei Animation, it aired on October 20, 1999, and it is still ongoing.

Yep, it's one of the most popular shōnen anime out there that is still ongoing right now and One Piece had a pretty good this year when it comes to the anime. It finally started the Wano Country Arc and we got Gear 5 which made the internet explode where one point I saw people say that Gear 5 is greater than Super Saiyan. That's how big it was and how big people made it out to be. Pretty good year for One Piece overall especially with the anime this year so good on them.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #8:



Blue Lock is an anime based on the Japanese manga series written by Muneyuki Kaneshiro and illustrated by Yusuke Nomura. It was created by 8bit and aired from October 9, 2022, to March 26, 2023.

This anime aired in late 2022, it continued and ended in early 2023 as it was a blast to see. If you're a fan of soccer/football, this is the anime for you as it definitely gives the details on how soccer/football works with intense action as well. Sure, some aspects of the anime don't feel realistic, but that's the point of it as it's not real. However, it still shows what soccer/football is about that'll make you support the protagonists in the anime. If you're into soccer/football or even into sports at all, you'll enjoy Blue Lock as it's a fun anime to watch and get to know about the sport in general.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #7:



Bleach: Sennen Kessen-hen - Ketsubetsu-tan or Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War - The Separation in the West is an anime based on the Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Tite Kubo. It was created by Pierrot and it aired from July 8, 2023, to September 30, 2023.

I have to say that ever since Bleach made a comeback with the Thousand-Year Blood War arc, it has been amazing. In the manga, the Thousand-Year Blood War arc had a lot of pacing issues, but with the anime, they picked it up while still staying true to the source material which I appreciate. Plus, this season with The Separation has been done extremely well. I'm looking forward to seeing how they continue this arc in anime form moving forward.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #6:



Sousou no Frieren or Frieren: Beyond Journey's End in the West is an anime based on the Japanese manga series written by Kanehito Yamada and illustrated by Tsukaba Abe. It was created by Madhouse and aired on September 29, 2023, and it's still ongoing.

I really love the manga of this series and when it finally had an anime adaptation, I was super excited for it and it didn't disappoint one bit. Even though the anime is still ongoing at the time this article/editorial is up, it really does the series justice by following the source material while implementing beautiful animation, great voice acting, and an enjoyable soundtrack to listen to with this adventure that it goes through. If you want to watch an anime filled with fantasy adventure with a bit of drama add to it, Frieren: Beyond Journey's End is the show for you.

Now, we're in the top five. Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #5:



Vinland Saga Season 2 is an anime based off of the Japanese historical manga series written and illustrated by Makoto Yukimura. It was created by MAPPA as it aired from January 10, 2023, to June 20, 2023.

I really loved the first season of Vinland Saga and was excited for the second season as it finally came out and delivered. Even though the pacing of the second season is a bit slow it could turn away viewers very quickly if it doesn't catch their interest, but the moment the big moments happen and the crazy action starts to occur, that is when it hits hard which is really impactful and memorable. Despite liking the first season more than the second season, the second season still is amazing to watch so if you love the first season of Vinland Saga, you'll love the second season.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #4:



Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season or Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 in the West is an anime based off of the Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Gege Akutami. It was created by MAPPA and it aired from July 6, 2023, to December 28, 2023.

I really enjoyed the first season of Jujutsu Kaisen and with the second season, it picked up and got better. The second season of Jujutsu Kaisen covers the Shibuya Incident Arc which honestly to me, is the best arc of the manga so seeing it being adapted in an anime adaptation is incredible to see. Seeing the heartbreaking emotional moments combined with the fighting sequences in the anime was awesome to witness. If you loved the first season of Jujutsu Kaisen, you'll love the second season as I'm looking forward to the third season of the anime when it comes out.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #3:



Pluto is an anime based off of the Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Naoki Urasawa. It was created by Studio M2 and all of the episodes aired on Netflix on October 26, 2023.

I really loved the manga of Pluto when I read it back in my college days and even though it wasn't my favorite manga from Naoki Urasawa, it was still one of the best manga he has made and when it was announced that Pluto was getting an anime adaptation, I was pumped. After watching it on Netflix when it came out, it delivered and it was amazing. They pretty much stay true to the original source material which I love, but just added the beautiful animation with voice acting and a wonderful soundtrack along with it. If you love mysteries and psychological thrillers like I do, this is the anime I watch. Trust me, it's worth it.

Here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #2:



Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season - Kanketsu-hen or Attack on Titan: The Final Season - The Final Chapters in the West is an anime based on the Japanese manga series and illustrated by Hajime Isayama. It was created by MAPPA and it aired from March 4, 2023, to November 5, 2023.

I love my Attack on Titan and even though there are certain seasons that I prefer more than others, every season of Attack on Titan is either great to amazing, and with Attack on Titan: The Final Season - The Final Chapters, it was no different. This was a great way to end the series after the manga ended a few years ago and the way the anime ended was similar to how the manga ended, but does it in its own way which I appreciate and love about it. Either way, it's the end of an era for Attack on Titan as it was a fun ride to experience. If you love Attack on Titan, you'll love this final season with The Final Chapters which have been excellent.

Now, here's my favorite anime of 2023 at #1:



Oshi no Ko is an anime based off of the Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Mengo Yokoyari. It was created by Doga Kobo and aired from April 12, 2023, to June 28, 2023.

As of right now, my favorite anime drama is Clannad After Story and every other anime drama I've watched has been good to amazing, but hasn't reached the same level of sadness and emotion compared to Clannad After Story. However, after watching Oshi no Ko, I believe it'll either be my second favorite anime drama ever or tied with Clannad After Story as the emotional moments as well as the drama that occurs in Oshi no Ko are very impactful that I haven't felt since Clannad After Story which is saying something. If you're a fan of anime dramas, check out Oshi no Ko. If you don't feel any emotion from watching this anime at all, then you're a heartless person, just saying.


Those are my favorite anime in 2023.

What is your favorite anime in 2023?

Let me know in the comments below and thank you for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts