Gaming Influence: Rankings - Favorite Video Games in 2023

Hello everyone, 

Welcome to Gaming Influence, a reboot of the same name I created back in WrestleCorp. However, not only will I be giving my thoughts on certain video games and video game series, but also video game movies, video game anime, video game digital presentations, etc.

For this edition of Gaming Influence, I'll be ranking my favorite video games in 2023.

Before I start, my rankings will only be based on games that came out in 2023 which include new original games, remakes, remasters, and ports with additional content that wasn't in the original game. My rankings will not include re-releases on other consoles as well as DLC unless it's a separate game with its own physical copy (Ex. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country and Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak). In addition, if your favorite games of 2023 aren't listed on my rankings, that doesn't mean it's a bad game, it's just that I haven't played the game or have no interest in it so keep that in mind.

Anyway, let's get started!



Before I start my actual rankings if you want to see my favorite video games of last year, check out the link here: Gaming Influence: Rankings - Favorite Video Games in 2022

Here are some honorable mentions that I enjoyed, but didn't make it on the list:

Honorable Mentions: Hogwarts Legacy, Tales of Symphonia Remastered, Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe, Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demons, Like a Dragon: Ishin!, Master Detective Archives: Rain Code, Starfield, Forza Motorsport, Samba de Amigo: Party Central, Disney Illusion Island, We Love Katamari REROLL + Royal Reverie, Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection, Baten Kaitos I & II HD Remaster, Blanc, Detective Pikachu Returns, Tchia, Humanity, Assassin's Creed Mirage, Mortal Kombat 1, Sonic Superstars, Honkai: Star Rail, Crash Team Rumble, Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name, Fae Farm, Viewfinder, Cocoon, Eternights, Persona 5 Tactica, Jusant, DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS: The Dark Prince, WarioWare: Move It!, Super Crazy Rhythm Castle, Wargroove 2, Ghostrunner II

Okay, time for the opening. Starting off with my favorite video games in 2023 with #20:



Metroid Prime Remastered is a remaster of the 3D action-adventure game developed by Retro Studios and published by Nintendo that originally came out on the GameCube in 2022, Metroid Prime. The game was released on Switch on February 8, 2023.

Metroid Prime was one of my favorite games on the GameCube and the fact that this game got remastered is incredible to see. Although to me, this game is more of a remake than a remaster as they pretty much redid the graphics and implemented modern controls for current players to play and it's fascinating. Since this is a remake with nothing changed in the original, it's not high up on my list, but if you haven't played Metroid Prime before, this is your chance as it's worth the experience and if this gives us anything on what Metroid Prime 4 looks like, we're in for a treat.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #19:



Super Mario RPG is a remake of the role-playing game developed by ArtePiazza and published by Nintendo that originally came out on the SNES in 1996, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. The game was released on Switch on November 17, 2023.

This game is one of my favorite games back in the SNES and I never thought to see the day that this game would be remade, but here we are. Not only did they improve the graphics, but they added new features that weren't in the original like the triple attacks and post-game content with harder difficulty on the bosses which is great. Similar to Metroid Prime Remastered, this is just a one-to-one remake of the game with added features to make the game more accessible for everyone to play. If you never played this game before, this is your chance to do so, and trust me, it's worth your time.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #18:



Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp is a remake collection of two turn-based strategy games developed by WayForward and published by Nintendo that originally came out on GBA in 2001 and 2003. The game was released on Switch on April 21, 2023.

Both Advance Wars games on the GBA were my favorites back in the GBA days and I never thought to see Advance Wars even make a comeback, but the fact that we got one, and with remakes at that, it makes me super happy as this series is getting another shot. Not only did they improve the graphics, but they also added voice acting to the game and online play which is nice to see. Similar to Metroid Prime Remastered and Super Mario RPG, they're one-to-one remakes, but the quality of life improvements and updated graphics really helped the game collection, and hope this means the return of the series moving forward.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #17:



Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty is an expansion for the action role-playing game developed and published by CD Projekt as it was released on PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC on September 26, 2023.  

Despite the game having a rough launch, they managed to pull themselves back together and the expansion of Phantom Liberty made the game a lot better overall with its extra content. The new story content in the game is quite good, the new character customizations and weapons have been well implemented, and the role that Idris Elba played in this game did great as well. Even though it's not my favorite game of this year, it's definitely a great one and it's a good time to get back into the Cyberpunk 2077 world if you haven't already as it has improved a lot since its launch.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #16:



ARMORED CORE VI: FIRES OF RUBICON is a mecha-based vehicular combat game developed by FromSoftware and published by Bandai Namco. The game was released on PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC, on August 24, 2023.

The last Armored Core game was Armored Core V which was released on the PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2012 so it has been eleven years since the last Armored Core game and we finally got a return with ARMORED CORE VI: FIRES OF RUBICON and it delivered. With great action and a lot of customization with your mechs, this is a really fun game that I had a great time experiencing and it's great to see FromSoftware get back into the Armored Core franchise again. If you're into mecha games, then ARMORED CORE VI: FIRES OF RUBICON is the game for you.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #15:



Sea of Stars is a role-playing game developed and published by Sabotage Studio. The game was released on Switch, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X, Xbox One, and PC.

When I first saw this game being revealed, it reminded me so much of the classic JRPGs in the SNES area like Chrono Trigger and finally experiencing the game, it delivered. This game has a great mix of combining what classic JRPGs done well with its gameplay while mixing up modern aspects which I appreciate a ton. Even though the story isn't as spectacular as other JRPGs out there, it has done its job well and they have pretty good characters too so I like that a lot. If you're into classic JRPGs in the SNES area, definitely check out Sea of Stars as it's definitely worth the experience.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #14:



Resident Evil 4 is a reimaging of the survival horror game developed and published by Capcom that was released on the GameCube in 2005. The game was released on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC on March 23, 2023.

The original Resident Evil 4 is my favorite Resident Evil game of all time and when they first revealed this game, I was hesitant as I felt like there wasn't much they could do expect upgrading the graphics as the game was already amazing as it is. However, with this game being a reimagining of the original, I was more expecting it and it didn't disappoint. Sure, there was content that was removed from the original, but also new content that wasn't in the original as well so it balanced out. Plus, it's still amazing regardless and I still have a great time with it. If you're hesitant to try this game out because you don't think it could match the original, don't be as this game is its own thing while respecting the original game so give it a try if you haven't already.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #13:



Fire Emblem Engage is a tactical role-playing game developed by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo. The game was released on Switch on January 20, 2023.

Fire Emblem is one of my favorite strategy games out there and with Fire Emblem Engage, it's another good game within the franchise. Despite the game's lack in the story and character department, it excels with the gameplay mechanics and the use of the Emblem Rings made the strategy a lot more fun where you can use many different combinations in battle which makes the experience different each time. Even though it's not my favorite game in the franchise, still think Fire Emblem Three Houses is my favorite overall, Fire Emblem Engage is still a great game and if you're into strategy games, you'll have a good time playing it.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #12:



The Legend of Heroes: Trails Into Reverie is a role-playing game developed and published by Nihon Falcom. The Western release of the game came out on Switch, PS4, PS5, and PC, on July 7, 2023.

I always have been a big fan of The Legend of Heroes series as to me, it's one of the most underrated JRPGs series out there today and with The Legend of Heroes: Trails Into Reverie, it continues that trend. This game has a great story whereas The Legend of Heroes' games have great stories overall, gameplay continues to expand from the series, and the sidequests in this game have been pretty great as well if you want to take a break from the main story. Hard to say that this is my favorite Legend of Heroes game, but it's a great one at that and if you're a fan of JRPGs, would consider giving this game a go.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #11:



Baldur's Gate III is a role-playing game developed and published by Larian Studios. The game was released on Xbox Series X, PS5, and PC, on August 3, 2023.

Even though a lot of people tend to love this game, I do too by the way, it's not really my type of genre which is why it's lower on my list compared to other people's list. Granted, I appreciate everything that this game does as it has an intriguing story, fun gameplay that goes back to Dungeons & Dragons, great characters, beautiful graphics, and a great soundtrack to boot as well. Plus, I haven't even finished the game yet so once I do finish it, this game might be higher on my list than it is now, but can't deny that this game is a lot of fun, and if you're into Western RPGs that has a lot of influence with Dungeons & Dragons, this is the game for you.

Now, here are my top ten favorite video games of 2023 starting with #10: 





Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a platformer developed and published by Nintendo as it was released on Switch on October 20, 2023.

I am usually a fan of 2D Mario games, but with the New Super Mario series, it has gotten a bit stale for me. However, Super Mario Bros. Wonder revitalized my love for 2D Mario games and I absolutely love it. Really love that they added more personality and charm to Mario and his friends which I appreciate as that was something missing for 2D Mario games for a long time. Even though the game is more on the easier side, it's still a fun game whether you play on your own or with friends so if you're into 2D platformers, would recommend playing Super Mario Bros. Wonder as it's worth your time.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #9:



Alan Wake II is a survival horror game developed by Remedy Entertainment and published by Epic Games. The game was released on Xbox Series X, PS5, and PC, on October 27, 2023.

It has been thirteen years since Alan Wake on Xbox 360 and we finally got a sequel to the game after so long and it's amazing. They changed the genre for the series from action-adventure into survival horror and I think it did great for the series as it felt like Resident Evil, but still have elements on what makes Alan Wake special which I appreciate. If you loved survival horror and loved the first Alan Wake game, you'll love Alan Wake II, you won't be disappointed.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #8:



Hi-Fi RUSH is a rhythm-based action game developed by Tango Gameworks and published by Bethesda. The game was released on Xbox Series X and PC on January 25, 2023.

When I first saw this game being revealed for the first time, it immediately caught my eye as it has such an incredible art style and after playing the game itself, it's a very special game that more people should definitely play. Not only its art style is great, but the gameplay is a lot of fun as it combines rhythm-based gameplay into action where it does it very well and I love it. If you're into rhythm and action games, would definitely give this game a try. 

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #7:



Street Fighter 6 is a fighting game developed and published by Capcom. The game was released on PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC on June 2, 2023.

Street Fighter is one of the most iconic fighting game series of all time and with Street Fighter 6, they continue that trend of what makes fighting games great while also being accessible for everyone. This game is not only amazing for veterans but also newcomers as they have a story mode for players to experience to get a general idea of what the gameplay mechanics are like as well as having the option to change to modern controls which makes it more accessible to people who never played Street Fighter or fighting games. If you love fighting games and Street Fighter, you'll love Street Fighter 6.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #6:



Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is an action-adventure game developed by Insomniac Games and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment. The game was released on PS5 on October 20, 2023.

I love the first Marvel's Spider-Man game and with Marvel's Spider-Man 2, it gets even better and I love it. Not only do you get to explore New York on a grander scale, but also get to play two Spider-Mans at the same time with Peter Parker's Spider-Man and Miles Morales' Spider-Man with different gameplay mechanics from one another. In addition, the story is really good in this game so if you love Spider-Man, would recommend playing this game as you won't be disappointed.

Now, we're in the top five. Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #5:



Pikmin 4 is a real-time strategy game developed and published by Nintendo. The game was released on Switch on July 21, 2023.

I've always been of Pikmin games as each new entry keeps getting better and better. With Pikmin 4, it's combined everything I love from the previous Pikmin games and more as this game is awesome. The addition of having new Pikmin such as Ice and Glow Pikmin as well as having Oatchi really adds the experience to the game as I had tons of fun with it. If you love strategy games, would recommend trying out Pikmin 4, you won't be disappointed.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #4:



Lies of P is a soulslike action role-playing game developed and published by Neowiz Games. The game was released on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC, on September 18, 2023.

Ever since this game was first revealed, I have always been impressed by how the game looks and plays as it was a soulslike game with a dark story of Pinocchio which definitely caught my interest. After playing the game itself, it's amazing at what it does. Never really thought of combining soulslike with a darker story of Pinocchio, but here we are and it delivered big time as I'm very curious what Neowiz Games do next, especially after the ending of Lies of P. If you love soulslike games, would definitely recommend Lies of P, you won't be disappointed.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #3:



Octopath Traveler II is a role-playing game developed and published by Square Enix. The game was released on Switch, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X, Xbox One, and PC, on February 24, 2023.

I loved Octopath Traveler when the first game came out as it has reminisced of the old classic JRPGs in the SNES days, but with a modern setting. With Octopath Traveler II, they basically improved upon everything from the first game and made it better. They improved upon the fact that all of the stories of the characters you play are connected with each other which was the one big thing that was missing in the first game without it being post-game content and it did it perfectly. Plus, the soundtrack is a banger and I love it. If you love JPRGs especially classic turn-based JRPGs, Octopath Traveler II is the game for you.

Here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #2:



Final Fantasy XVI is an action role-playing game developed and published by Square Enix. The game was released on PS5 on June 22, 2023.

I've always been a fan of Final Fantasy, but I will say the last few mainline Final Fantasy games haven't reached the same level as they once were as the last one that really hit me personally was Final Fantasy X. With Final Fantasy XVI, despite being different than any other mainline Final Fantasy game, it is still an amazing experience that this new direction of Final Fantasy could do really well if they continue to improve upon it. Really love the action gameplay in the game as it felt like a combination of Devil May Cry and Kingdom Hearts into one, but despite the different gameplay, it still has what makes Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy, with its story, summons, and music. If you're hesitant to play this game because it's different from other mainline Final Fantasy games, don't be, it's amazing and I would recommend giving this game a go as it's incredible in its own way.

Now, here's my favorite video game of 2023 at #1:



The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is an action-adventure game developed and published by Nintendo. The game was released on Switch on May 12, 2023.

I love The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild as it was not only one of my favorite Legend of Zelda games but one of my favorite games of all time, and The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, exceeded those expectations and more. Even though the world is the same, they expand upon it as well as make it different to change things up as well as add brand new gameplay mechanics, especially with the crafting which changes how crafting should work in open-world games as it's incredible. For everything it has done including the crafting and improvements from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is my #1 favorite video game of 2023.


Those are my favorite video games in 2023.

What are your favorite video games in 2023?

Let me know in the comments below and thank you for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts